Establishing Image Provenance and Security in Kubernetes
Take any container running in your Kubernetes cluster. What can you say about it and with what level of certainty? Do you know where it came from? Could an attacker have modified it? Is it up-to-date? Can you identify the exact revision of the code that the image was built from?
This talk will look at what guarantees Kubernetes gives you out-of-the-box, and what you can do to establish a trustworthy and reliable workflow for deploying and updating images. Topics and tooling covered will include:
* issues related to Kubernetes handling of images
* building images in a repeatable manner
* distributing images through registries
* verifying provenance with secure hashes as well as Notary/TUF
* A basic knowledge of Kubernetes and Docker.
* People starting their journey with Kubernetes/Docker should leave knowing a little more about how it handles images and will hopefully avoid some common pitfalls.
* People with more advanced knowledge should leave thinking about how they can better design their systems and make use of existing tooling to improve their processes.